What is a SCRF Citizen and How To Claim Your Badge!

In response to Paul’s questions about what it means to be a SCRF citizen, I’d like to weigh in from a community perspective.

In taking this badge, you are showing in a verifiable and undeniable way that you are a part of and represent this community. The action of attaining this badge means more than having a cool icon to display. The choice to mint this badge should at least cause us to consider what it means to be a part of SCRF.

Firstly, being a part SCRF means that we have an interest in engaging in high level conversation about research and research based projects. I feel that this is the base assumption that can be made about our community, seeing as this is what SCRF provides. Whether this engagement comes in the form of research summaries and it’s discussion, joining community calls, or active reading and listening is up to the individual. I’m not here to diminish anyone’s idea of what it is to participate at SCRF.

What I am here to say is that given the verifiable affiliation with SCRF, it should be expected that we act with a respectable demeanor. Most people already do this, but to simply explain what I mean I give a few examples:

• Act cordial to your fellow community members
  • Do not diminish anyone else’s work (critical discourse is great, but don’t be hateful about it)
  • Represent the community well to outside people

The point I’m trying to get across is that we want to be a well respected organization and we want our members to feel safe. I feel that the concept of the SCRF Citizen Badge fits right into the talks on reputation that we have been having lately. The SCRF community should have a good reputation!

Does anyone feel the same way I do? If not, please do give your thoughts on this.

4 Likes