Possible alternative SCRF forum and flow

Most of these things are already in place and have been formalized in some form. The issue is having a single source of truth from which everyone can have the same “flow” or concept framework from which to draw. I know there are efforts in place to formalize the different flows within SCRF, as there isn’t a single flow chart that would work for every person coming into the organization. It might be helpful to actually visualize the flow so the relationships between parties (or lack thereof) becomes more clear from a 10,000 foot view. I have been using “gloomaps” as a tool that makes it fairly easy to collaborate on a map with multiple parties: https://www.gloomaps.com/

I am not against anything posted; the issue is that a lot of these things have already been addressed and are being worked on. This becomes an issue of institutional memory and access to that memory. For a person that hasn’t been present from early on, all of the issues you raised look like legitimate problems that need to be addressed. On the other hand, as someone who has been here since early on; I can say these concerns and potential solutions have been raised and are in active development or have been formalized in some way.

A side note: I would slightly pull back on the notion that SCRF is specifically for “crypto”. Crypto is adjacent, but “Smart Contract Research” is the name of the organization, and not “Crypto Research”. That is an important distinction to make when establishing protocol as to not cater to “crypto” culture specifically.

“The Smart Contract Research Forum (SCRF) is a premier, open discourse hub dedicated to web3 advancement with tools in place to amplify the latest quality research, reward contributions, deliver insights, and facilitate industry connections. Composed of an active international community, SCRF connects academic researchers with blockchain innovators to collaborate on solutions.”

So, in that context it is not necessarily the correct goal to “connect thinkers of crypto with builders of crypto”. That is a small part of the scope of SCRF, but not the exclusive goal as the word “crypto” or “cryptography” or “cryptocurrency” is not specifically mentioned anywhere in the mission statement.

3 Likes