The paper cited here proposes a quantum money scheme protected by lattice-based cryptography

Publicly Verifiable Quantum Money from Random Lattices

For context: A quantum money scheme is a multiparty cryptographic protocol wherein one fixed participant—AKA the mint—creates quantum states that all participants can verify but cannot duplicate.

I recently worked on a discussion post for SCRF titled “Quantum Vulnerabilities of Blockchains.” From the insights gotten from my research, I know quantum computing poses a threat to cryptographic money systems. This threat is because anybody with quantum computers can compute cryptographical problems in polynomial time due to their computing power. In doing so, they can forge transactions and therefore double-spend.

Apart from quantum-proof blockchains, several quantum money schemes have been proposed to solve this problem in the past. Unfortunately, the security of the proposed quantum money schemes have
been based on ad hoc/nonstandard computational assumptions.

Also, the first explicit construction of quantum money was broken by Andrew Lutomirski et al in 2009. In the paper, the authors present a quantum algorithm that generates unforgeable money states protected by lattice-based cryptography.

• Links to background reading (0 to 3 items)

Quantum Copy-Protection and Quantum Money
Breaking and making quantum money: toward a new quantum cryptographic protocol
Cryptanalysis of Three Quantum Money Schemes

5 Likes

Now that your discussion post is up on the forum, is it your intention to summarize this paper as well?

1 Like

Yes, I still intend to summarize the paper.

However, I have a summary I’m working on at the moment.

Summarizing this paper could come after that.

1 Like