Research Summary: Using Distributed Ledger Technologies to Improve and Maximise the Collection of Property Taxes

The million-dollar question! :grinning:

I believe this is where a strong political will comes into place, and also the reason the authors mention a weak political will as a challenge to implementing these types of changes.

For instance, in the whole country, only the state of Lagos (and Abuja) in Nigeria has a partly digitized land registry. Even that is not open to the public and requires showing up physically at their office to access digital records. Lagos state is known for being innovative and past and current governors generally have a strong political will to implement change.

Another instance of a strong political will is the implementation of the Treasury Single Account (TSA) in Nigeria as recommended by the International Monetary Fund (IMF). TSA received stiff opposition from its proposal until implementation because it meant drying up revenue streams for corrupt civil servants. Implementing TSA helped Nigeria recover over 2 trillion naira.

If more states (and countries) develop a strong political will, we will see more progress in implementing some of these corruption-curbing solutions, including blockchain. It might be slow, but we will eventually get there.

Also, citizens have a role to play here. And this is where sensitization and enlightenment are essential. When citizens are properly informed, they become empowered and can demand good governance from their leaders. A determined government with a strong political will can achieve anything.

I hope I havenโ€™t turned this into a political discourse. :laughing:

3 Likes