Research Summary: Using Distributed Ledger Technologies to Improve and Maximise the Collection of Property Taxes

@Fizzymidas, I found this summary highly helpful as it gives an overview of the solutions being provided in creating land registries with DLT. The challenge is that, as @rlombreglia and @Larry_Bates point out, a blockchain solution doesn’t solve the core administrative issues, and there is little incentive for the adoption of a more transparent system by the current administrators.

However, administrative challenges are only part of the problem. Another challenge is accessibility. Difficulties in accessing property records (high cost of due diligence) contribute to the prevalence of fraud and property-related litigation. An easily accessible property records database could solve a large part of the issue. Luckily, private companies/projects (like VerifyPro – a personal project) are pushing into this area and trying to build businesses around property validation. The goal, I suppose, is to make transparency profitable and incentivising.
A blockchain isn’t strictly required in implementing this. The company I know implementing a blockchain does it as an added feature to boost customer confidence in title documents they help validate.

4 Likes