Research Summary: Leveraging Blockchain for Greater Accessibility of Machine Learning Models

Hey, I’m the main researcher working on this. Good questions. The words “secure” and “security” are very special words with deep meanings to me. I use them very carefully because they compose many things. Unless my Ctrl+F is failing me, I don’t see them use in this article and they’re not used in the original paper either. I see the term is used in the blog post (emphasis mine):

Leveraging blockchain technology allows us to do two things that are integral to the success of the framework: offer participants a level of trust and security and reliably execute an incentive-based system to encourage participants to contribute data that will help improve a model’s performance.

Here the security is about transparency. Open-source code is great but it’s not sufficient. For example, even if the back end code for this website was open-source, I don’t know what really happens when I enter my comment into this box because I can’t verify that the code running on back end machines is the same as what is in the open-source code that I read. Smart contracts offer a stronger guarantee that the code we see is the code that runs.

5 Likes