Research Summary Idea: The promise of peer-to-peer trading? The potential impact of blockchain on the actor configuration in the Dutch electricity system

The promise of peer-to-peer trading? The potential impact of blockchain on the actor configuration in the Dutch electricity system

This paper considers the potential of blockchain technology to empower distributed and decentralized local electricity markets. By social network analysis, this paper compares the existing with the potential future system’ actor configuration and the corresponding expected shifts in functions and network position of the actors.

The reason I choose this paper is that it performs an outstanding Market Potential Analysis via Social Network Analysis with merely 11 research participants’ interviews. Within two years, it gets a very high impact factor of 38 citations.

I think this paper can be a helpful guide for new Blockchain Applications Initiators who want to do their own Market Potential Analysis. By doing so, they can know the potential impact on relative stakeholders, and how to design their product to fit the trend.

• Links to background reading (0 to 3 items)
    TBA
3 Likes

It sounds like this is an already influential paper, so it seems like it would benefit the forum. The methodological focus and practical application combination also seems interesting and valuable.

I do have a question about the article, since we don’t have access here at the moment, Is this an actual implementation of blockchain or is this research based speculation of how blockchain might be used?

1 Like

Hi @zube.paul Thanks for your question.
This paper was based on speculation of how blockchain might be used.

This paper imagine the 2030’s scenario where “energy is produced mainly in a decentral manner. Every household in the Netherlands generates its own electricity or buys it from small-scale and local producers”.

Just find a link to the paper which is open to access.

2 Likes

The promise of P2P power grids is not something we have covered at SCRF in the past and this appears to be a good starting point. Feel free to onboard and proceed with this one.

2 Likes