Research Summary Idea: Blockchain and the Future of Digital Learning Credential Assessment and Management

Research Summary Idea

Paper / Discussion Title

“Blockchain and the Future of Digital Learning Credential Assessment and Management”

Jirgensons, M., & Kapenieks, J. (2018). Blockchain and the future of digital learning credential assessment and management. Journal of teacher education for sustainability , 20 (1), 145-156.

• Link to source
    https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1218203.pdf

• Content type tag (summary, discussion)
    Summary

• Category
    Privacy / Scalling / Blockchain Education

• Proposed Tags
    Blockchain Education, Microcredentials, Accreditation, Blockcerts

• Description of why this would be an interesting post
    Blockchain technologies provide a whole new way of accreditation without unnecessary bureaucracies. Moreover, they provide new forms of digital certification of training/course completion that are more suitable for life-long learners. As the administrative costs and the length of verification processes is increasing, new ways of thinking about educational credentials are needed. Bureaucratic nightmares are not at all that uncommon and we all want to avoid them as they are very costly in terms of resources, time, and one’s peace of mind.

Summarizing this paper for SCRF can aid the promotion and the devlopment of microcredential platforms and tools, especially considering that microcredentials are becoming the standard in an environment like web3 where constant learning is the norm.

• Links to background reading (0 to 3 items)
    Issue Blockcerts on Ethereum [under development] - Technical - Blockcerts Forum
    A Decentralized Framework for Patents and Intellectual Property as NFT in Blockchain Networks

6 Likes

@zube.paul Can I have some feedback on whether it would be suitable to make a summary of this paper?

Thanks for the reminder, @Hermes_Corp. I had a draft of a response typed out but then got caught up on some other projects and forgot to come back to this. My most sincere apologies.

I really appreciate that you used the format template so that this post is clean and easy to interact with. SCRF is currently doing some process improvements, so this thread should also result in a submission to the Idea Proposal Submission Form.

With that in mind, I did have some follow-up questions that we could discuss here.

• Is this paper an empirical study where we have some data and evidence of how assessment and management have been applied and observed, or is this more of a philosophical/conceptual paper where it is an exploration of potential use cases? If this is primarily an exploration of potential use cases, it might be better to wait on this particular piece and instead look at more generalized questions related to digital credentialing. There are a few examples in Research Pulse.
  • Right now, the tags you are proposing do not exist on the forum or in our glossary. We should probably have a discussion about where/if they belong on the forum over in our SCRF Terms Glossary and Content Tags thread.
2 Likes