Research Summary: I Told You Tomorrow: Practical Time-Locked Secrets using Smart Contracts

Thanks for the summary! The trustless and distributive time-lock in this paper seems promising. There is a lot to be explored here when it comes to implementation!

I did have a few questions that hopefully we can discuss here. First, it seems like this is a potential solution to “future proof” time-locks. @Larry_Bates summarized research on the potential quantum computing threat to Bitcoin a few months back. The big takeaway from that project to me was that some of the forward-looking security concerns were not as specific as they needed to be nor as worrying. This article isn’t talking about quantum computer, but it did mention the difficulty in estimating future computer power. That left me thinking:

• How big of a concern are these estimates of future computer power to current time-lock protocols?
  • How well does the ITYT protocol solve this problem?

It also seems like the major advantage here is the distributed and decentralized nature of the protocol. From my understanding here, that is enabled by Threshold Cryptography. Are there some good sources to look into regarding this? Or maybe someone could provide an overview? I know that @Sami_B has been working on literature related to decentralization, so it might be great to have his contributions here also.

3 Likes