Research Summary: I Told You Tomorrow: Practical Time-Locked Secrets using Smart Contracts

smart contract can deploy built-in logic when certain timely bound key data elements are met,

Thats the dataflow model of bitcoin, Ethereum is a universal turning machine which has its own problems. Algorand uses decideable langauge as has got less flaws.

The expressiveness of a language to function on the virtual machine depends a great deal on the theoretical basis. eNotories are basically a 3rd party witness certification. Ethereum per se at Layer 1+2 (layer zero mining) has very little legal presence, you have to look to EIPs … there was one which described jurisdiction, authority but I believe its still unpublished. If the smart contract conforms to that standard, then a court may presume whoever is running that smart contract has aceded to that choice of law, and forum otherwise you’d get a big international fight over which law.

Basically what a technical implementation and a court interpretation can differ and where there’s discrepencies, thats the loophole. Whole business models work on regulatory arbitrage. Classic being satellite TV where feed signals via cable to adjacent country to undercut monopoly (who obviously sued).

I suggest you start looking at EIP technical standards and start mapping them to specific legal use-cases (LHS) rather than start with legal precedence at layer 4 to move down.

1 Like