Research Summary - Automated Market Makers for Decentralized Finance (DeFi)

Unfortunately, I cannot find any other research regarding this tradeoff. The author does make the following two claims regarding situations with LOW liquidity:

“For the constant product cost market, if the patron incorporates the automated market maker by deposing a small amount of liquidity, an attacker with a small budget can manipulate the token price significantly in the automated market maker and take profit from other DeFi applications that use this automated market maker” (pg 13)

and

“For constant circle/ellipse based automated market makers, the patron can use a small amount of liquidity to set up the automated market and the attacker can only manipulate the token price within the fixed price amplitude.” (pg 13)

I’ve been trying to find other research that backs up the specific claim you brought up but it seems as though since this is the first paper (at least that I have found) discussing the potential implications of a constant circle/ellipse AMM that there is a lack of supporting research regarding their claims at the moment.

4 Likes