José María García](https://www.josemgarcia.es/) is an Associate Professor of Computer Science and Software Engineering at the Universidad de Sevilla. His research focuses on services engineering, blockchains, the semantic Web, and recommender systems.
José and his co-authors recently sat down with Chainlink Labs to discuss their paper on elastic smart contracts: a new concept for smart contract design that can handle the scale and complexity of smart contract deployment between Internet of Things (IoT) devices.
José has offered to answer questions about his paper for a limited time. Please don’t hesitate to ask any questions about this fascinating paper.
This interview is from an episode of the Chainlink Research Report series which features short presentations of exceptional working papers by blockchain scholars around the world.
In this episode, Professor José María García and his co-authors discuss their paper which proposes a new smart contract framework for handling transactions within the complex world of the Internet of Things.
- The Internet of Things (IoT) is a complex ecosystem which poses unique challenges for smart contract and oracle design.
- One of the most significant challenges is related directly to the variation in types of devices that IoT comes from.
- For example, IoT data can come from sensors, software services or directly from people.
- This poses a number of challenges for oracles which transfer data when smart contracts on multiple different blockchains are being used.
- Adding a dimension of “elasticity” to smart contracts can allow them to accommodate many different data types that pass through blockchains via oracles.
- Elastic smart contracts are demonstrated within the paper using a smart city scenario.
José María García is an Associate Professor of Computer Science and Software Engineering at the Universidad de Sevilla in the Applied Software Engineering (ISA) research group. He has participated in several national and European research projects, including public-private partnerships and has published more than 20 research articles, has also co-organized national conferences.
Some of José’s work:
- Dustdar, Schahram, José María García, Pablo Fernandez, and Antonio Ruiz-Cortés. “An Elasticity Framework for Smart Contracts.” In 2021 IEEE International Conference on Smart Data Services (SMDS) , pp. 244-248. IEEE, 2021.
- García, José María, David Ruiz, and Antonio Ruiz-Cortés. “Improving semantic web services discovery using SPARQL-based repository filtering.” Journal of Web Semantics 17 (2012): 12-24.
- García, José María, Pablo Fernandez, Antonio Ruiz-Cortes, Schahram Dustdar, and Miguel Toro. “Edge and cloud pricing for the sharing economy.” IEEE Internet Computing 21, no. 2 (2017): 78-84.
Relevant links and contact info for José:
- Email: email@example.com
- Personal Site: https://www.josemgarcia.es/
- Google Scholar Profile: https://scholar.google.es/citations?user=mhINYuMAAAAJ&hl=en
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/josemgarcia_us
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/josemgarciaus/
- ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jose-Maria-Garcia-2