Research Summary: A Sustainable, Blockchain-Based Peer-to-Peer Energy Trading System

My comment is not really related to the topic of P2P smart grids, and I don’t want to sound picky but it seems to me that this table comparing blockchains is wrong:

1- For the Smart Contract column: different languages are possible for Hyperledger Fabric and Ethereum so it would be better to describe the compiler (or list the different languages). We could also discuss the presence of smart contracts on Bitcoin but it is ‘touchy’.

2- For the Transactions column, transactions are not anonymous on Bitcoin nor on Hyperledger Fabric in which, on the contrary, nodes are identified (although they can be masked in some way using their Identity Mixer concept). They are both pseudonymous. And I don’t see why Ethereum is different with its public/private…

3- Hyperledger Fabric’s consensus algorithm is not PBFT but has been Kafka and then Raft for the latest versions (illustration of RAFT here: Raft). These algorithms are not BFT (Byzantine Fault Tolerant) but only CFT (Crash Fault Tolerant) because they use a leader/follower system, i.e. they are not tolerant to dishonest nodes but only to a network failure.

4- For the Programming language column, Hyperledger Fabric is coded in Golang (Java and NodeJS are only supported for smart contracts). Bitcoin and Ethereum have several implementations, the most widespread being C++ for Bitcoin (Bitcoin core) and Golang for Ethereum (Geth). I think there was a confusion between the language supported for smart contracts and the client implementation language.

Moreover, I don’t really agree with this sentence (page 3 of the article) that is used when describing the distinction between permissioned and permissionless blockchains:
“Therefore the permissionless blockchain is less transparent, less anonymous, and less secure as it depends on the participants’ integrity. Likewise,the permissioned blockchain is more secure, high customizability, better scalability, and enhanced access control mechanism”

I know it doesn’t change much to the topic and the smart grid model described by the authors but I think it was still important to mention it for the forum.

4 Likes