Proposal: Leadership in decentralized organizations: Principles and practices

I love what talentDAO is doing! Super interesting and very much needed.

I keep wondering how many of the problems that DAO’s face can fall into one of these buckets:

1. Is an old co-op problem. We already have answers.
  2. Is the same problem in traditional organizations. We already have answers.
  3. Is a new problem needing new solutions

I’m not convinced that DAO’s are necessarily doing anything new or that current knowledge and wisdom can’t solve. I am already seeing how a lack of leadership within a DAO creates chaos. Leadership is part of our evolutionary orgins, and I am concerned that the ideologies of DAO’s to throw out a lot of leadership, first misunderstand the impacts and necessities of leadership, and secondly fully devalues it. Ultimately, leadership is a tool to be used. If DAO’s decide they don’t like the shape of the tool, then they’re not going to be able to build a house.

There is a very big difference between good and bad leadership and I wonder where the DAO is really looking to solve for leaders that are ‘good’ and defined by the same principles they are building the organization with: transparency; accountability; community involvement; etc. I say this because I think DAO’s will find you can’t get work done or have healthy communities without leadership.

6 Likes