A step-by-step guide on creating valuable comments on SCRF (my personal guide)

The goal of this guide is to help make writing comments on SCRF easier for you and to make the Forum a better place.

If you have a system for doing things, it always guarantees better results.This is the same process I use, and I’m working on making it better. I hope you find it helpful, if not, send a reply with your questions or suggestions so I can make the guide better.

Happy reading!

1. Choose a topic

• This can be done deliberately or indeliberately. In being deliberate, you scan through the Forum for topics in your area of interest. For instance, I’m interested in DeFi. I go through the Forum looking for summaries or comments on DeFi that interest me. If you don’t have an area of interest yet, don’t worry, just pick what catches your attention.
  • You can be indeliberate about it by bookmarking topics that interest you as you read the Forum.This can be done in one day.
  • You can choose five topics to write about for one week or however suits you.

2. Read the summary

• The day you read the summary can be different from the day you select your topics. This will help you produce a better result.
  • You need to understand the paper properly to be able to agree or disagree and make your input.
  • If you have to read the main paper to understand the topic, then please do.
  • If you also have to do some extra research as you read the paper, please do. That’s how I actually started. I didn’t know much in the beginning.
  • As you read, take note of what interests you by writing it down on a paper, notepad, or writing app.

3. Do your own research

• To produce a wholesome piece of writing, you need to confirm some ideas from other sources and understand what other people are saying about the topic.
  • Using the ideas you wrote down while reading the summary/paper, research Google.
  • Be careful not to use others’ words and ideas directly as yours.
  • Make sure to always cite the sources you used.

4. Write the comment

• Ideally, your comment should have this structure:
    • Introduction
    • Body
      • Point 1
        • Paragraph 1
        • Paragraph 2
        • etc
      • Point 2
        • Paragraph 1
        • Paragraph 2
        • etc
      • Point 3
        • Paragraph 1
        • Paragraph 2
        • etc
      • Etc

• Conclusion 

• There should be a general idea your comment is focused on. It might be against the summary or for the summary. According to @zube.paul, this is what SCRF generally wants in a comment:
    • The comment provides a particularly thoughtful question.
    • The comment provides and explains external quality sources to support ideas.
    • The comment includes engagement with comments and elaborates on previous ideas.
    • The comment provides a summary of the discussion or raises new points in the discussion.
    • Comment accurately applies the research and discussion to a current event or industry trend.
    • Comment increases understanding of the original research or helps clarify the confusion.
  • You should focus on about 500 to 1000 words. Don’t feel intimidated, you can write less anyway.
  • Write the way you talk. Your goal is to help your readers understand your point and not to impress them. Therefore, don’t use excavate where you can use dig, etc
  • Write in a notebook first, or use a word processor like MS word, or Google Docs. Do not write directly on the SCRF text box.

6. Edit your comment

• Come back to editing your piece a few hours or days after you have written it. The point here is to stay away from it for some time. Minutes? hours? days? It depends on you.
  • Run your comment through Grammarly for common errors and corrections.
  • Ensure there are enough white spaces to make your work readable. To achieve this, make your paragraphs about 2 to 3 sentences.
  • Keep a bank of written comments that you can schedule for publishing on weekdays.
  • Write in short sentences. It helps your readers understand you better.

7. Publish

• Once you are satisfied with your writing and checked all the boxes from the other steps, hit publish.
  • Finally, your goal shouldn’t be to publish anything. Focus on creating quality content that will benefit others.

Note: This is a living document, so I will keep updating it. Always check to see what has been added or removed.

22 Likes

I have a question. Is plagiarism flagged and if it is, i think tools such as Grammerly can help one to avoid plagiarism.

3 Likes

@Ulysses Thank you for this step by step guide on creating valuable comments on the forum. This will be beneficial to me and the newbie’s joining SCRF.

This is well said. Most times when I find it hard to understand a summary, I read comments. Some of the comments here, makes me understand a research summary better.

So if anyone follows this guide, I am sure it will make contributions on the forum productive.

You’ve said it all. I will keep this in mind when writing. Thank you.

2 Likes

Flagging plagiarism is a collective responsibility here at SCRF. Once you see a plagiarised post, flag it to notify the admins who will now make the final decision of either deleting the post or hiding it permanently.

I haven’t used Grammarly for plagiarism checks. But then, I found this link for the Grammarly plagiarism check. I think it’s free.

Thanks for your contribution!

1 Like

Hey @Yeoriton56, glad you found this valuable. I’m hoping to do threads like this in the future. I will surely keep you mind.

1 Like

I really liked your step-by-step guide, I think you made some excellent points and I finds it helpful.

2 Likes

There has been discussion about implementing a plagiarism detection API into the forum, but there has to be research done before a decision is made to go with a single provider.

2 Likes

Hi and thanks for this post this will help me be a better contributor to this forum instead of lurking around.

4 Likes

It was indeed a happy reading! Thank you for this piece. Few days ago was the first time ever, I edited a comment, really came in handy.

@Luminous here is something you definitely need

3 Likes

I wanna really appreciate your great efforts @Ulysses because your guide would help me and a lot others, thanks.

1 Like

Wow @Ulysses this is very apt thanks. I’d recommend this guide for you guys too @Qvn_mary @Esuccess @Great @TiciaO .
Thanks and we are expecting more guides.

2 Likes

Thank you very much @Ulysses I really find it helpful.

1 Like

@J_Fraizer, Happy to see that you are applying this guide already and sharing some feedback!

1 Like

@Kvngdrvy Thanks for reading. I have more content underway and I will, sure, keep you in mind.

@Ulysses Thank you for the guide.

1 Like

This is really helpful… Thank you so much @Ulysses. The step by step guild is really comprehensive.

1 Like

@Ulysses Thanks for taking your time to explain this guide, it is helpful and extensive

1 Like

wow nice one @Ulysses thats so thought of you this is very helpful more especially for new ones and is aslo educative .

2 Likes

@Ulysses thanks for this wonderful content.
Something I really want to ask. I created a topic about Forex trading some weeks ago, it was flagged and later deleted by the admin. What are the key areas one can really discuss as a topic, is there a specific Area of specialization?

4 Likes

@zube.paul might probably have a better answer. But having been here for a while, I will share my own view.

SCRF is like a meeting place for people from blockchain academia and industry to share ideas. The forum is strictly for discussing issues on blockchain research and application. I feel Forex and prices of assets are off the focus of SCRF and that’s why your topic was probably deleted.

You should take some time to read some of SCRF’s documentation to help guide you. You can start here

7 Likes